Library At The DockProject Type: New Building
Building Type: Standalone
The Library at The Dock is a community hub enabling people to come together to create, explore, connect, belong, learn and participate. This library offers a collection to suit the needs of the local community, workers and visitors to Docklands.
In addition to the traditional library collection, there is a recording studio, creative editing suites, community spaces and a performance venue to hold up to 120 people. In addition, a gallery and exhibition space celebrates Docklands’ rich heritage.
- Gallery space
- 120-seat theatre space with retractable seating
- Recording studio
- A semi-outdoor terrace where you can play table tennis on artificial grass, and where louvred walls and roof can open up to the park view and the sky for natural ventilation
- In the dedicated kids’ reading area there are child-scaled curving shelf units designed by the Clares and an interactive floor.
- The building is constructed almost entirely of CLT, Cross Laminated Timber, which is 30 per cent lighter than traditional structures – a crucial feature given the library rests on a 75-year-old wharf. CLT also has a much lower carbon footprint.
- A passive natural ventilation system supplemented by mechanical operable louvres on all four sides
- 85 kW solar panels on the roof
- Water harvesting for flushing toilets
- Central skylights that act as ventilation chimneys
- All furniture and fitout meets Green Star ratings
Funding Grants & Contributions:
- City of Melbourne – $?
- Places Victoria – $?
- Lend Lease – $23 million
|Library Name||Library at The Dock|
|Organisation/ Council/ Shire Name||Melbourne Library Service|
|Type of Build||New Building|
|Architect or Designer||Clare Design|
|Net Floor Area||3000m2|
|Total Cost of Project||$26 million|
|Energy Rating||5 Star. Library at the Dock was awarded Australia’s first 6 Star Green Star Public Building Design PILOT rating|
|Carpet & Floor Finishings|
|Furniture & Fittings||Jardan, Anibou, Interstudio, Zenith, Living Edge|
|RFID Technology||FE Technologies|
|Awards & Recognition||2 NSW Architectural awards. Nominated for international Systematic – Public Library of the Year Award 2015|